Tuesday, December 16, 2014

School buses.

I put my grandson on a school bus and watched it drive away this morning. That brought back a whole host of memories from my own school days. Although we always lived too close to my schools to need daily busing I remember the joys of school bus travel as early as 6th grade.


A trip to my first major league baseball game from my hometown to Chicago's Comisky Park, where we watched the White Sox play someone. I don't recall the score but the trip was memorable. Over a hundred miles with a stop in Kankakee for lunch at my first McDonalds with their 15 cent hamburgers. It was the Little League annual event of 100 kids (3 buses) and chaperones.


I recall later traveling to away basketball games on the team bus in junior high school and then on the fan bus to away games in high school where there was more fun had on the bus than at the games.


As an adult chaperone on a bus with 40 noisy kids I remember the bone jarring ride of those yellow beasts built for  young bodies, not for humans. I think I would rather walk.

No comments:

Post a Comment

It is nice to be important. But it is more important to be nice. Comment here. After I read and approve your comment I will add it to this blog.