Tuesday, December 9, 2014

People say.

People say there are two things you never talk about in public, religion and politics. But I don't listen to people and this blog is not very public. Besides I want to say a few words about a clergyman not the religion he so obviously believes and practices.

Our local church and the one I attended 11 miles away and 2 others participated last year in a process that ultimately combined all four into one building with one priest. So not only did I lose a friend (Fr, B.K.Tran) and comfortable  group of fellow parishioners, I gained an uncomfortable church and a not so likeable new pastor. That circumstance led me to seek and find another church (11 miles the other way) and a man who epitomizes what I think a clergyman should be.

My wife had knee surgery not long after I started at the new church and was having a hard time with lingering pain and side effects from that. So I mentioned this to Fr. Carl at church one Sunday and asked if someone could bring Communion to her at home. Most parishes have lay people who do that very thing. He said of course. And that was the start of weekly visits by Fr. Carl himself that lasted a couple of months. Each week he would come and spend 30-45 minutes visiting and encouraging Joan with good humor and a sympathetic ear. As Joan was able to attend church that humor and encouragement continued. They say when God closes one door he opens another. I believe it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

It is nice to be important. But it is more important to be nice. Comment here. After I read and approve your comment I will add it to this blog.