Thursday, November 13, 2014

To be, or not to be (a Geek).

I have always considered my self to be Geeky. As far back as I can remember, electronic gadgets have fascinated me. My earliest recollection of this is of my father and I in the 1950s. At some point our family purchased a black&white television. RCA brand if I remember correctly with a screen size smaller than many desktop computer monitors today. Now inside this huge wooden console was the main picture tube and a dozen or so smaller vacuum tubes that controlled what was displayed on the large picture tube. The life-span of these smaller tubes was always in question. So when one one of them died and ruined the picture on the television my father would open the back of the TV and remove all the small tubes that might be the problem. And off we'd go to the store that sold TVs and TV parts. At the store he would use the tube tester on all the tubes removed from the TV to find the bad one and purchase a replacement. This process happened every couple of months it seemed.

So as I grew older it seemed natural to tinker with electronic stuff like my first computer a Commodore Vic-20. Using this machine I taught myself to write simple computer code to perform sorting of names in a database and other tasks that happen at the touch of one button on today's computers. From the Vic-20 I graduated to the main-frame computer at work, At his time our work related data was starting to be computerized and I got in on the ground floor as coordinator in our department. From there to PCs and Lotus 123 and today's smartphones and tablets.

Today I still am trying to learn more about how to use these devices. That's where Geeks on Tour come in. I found these folks about a year ago and have enjoyed all their work since. Especially their live video "hang-outs" held Sundays @1:00pm on Google plus. Or see them on You Tube anytime.

No comments:

Post a Comment

It is nice to be important. But it is more important to be nice. Comment here. After I read and approve your comment I will add it to this blog.